These instructions show you how to insert a Word document's filename and path into the header or footer of a Word document. These instructions work for Word 2007 and 2010.
- Place the cursor where you want to insert the file name in the header or footer
- To edit the header or footer just double click in that region of the document
- Under the highlighted Header & Footer Tools choose the Design tab
- Click on Quick Parts in the Insert group and choose Field
- In the Field names list, choose FileName
- Under Field options, check Add path to filename and click OK.
This field does not always update automatically when the file is renamed or moved. It will update when printed but otherwise you must force the update by right clicking on the field and choosing Update Field